Saturday, June 10, 2006

Dadaism

artsy fartsy

My original goal was to write a speech out for my final ceramics presentation and incorporate some artistic movement like abstract expressionism and say how the angle of the splatters and the intensity of the colors were simply a metaphor for the pain and anguish that I had been put through for having these endless criterias placed over me through my ceramics class.

My dad then pointed me at dadaism. Here's a short wikipedia article about it if you must know more, but I'll give you the jist of it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadaism

Dadaism was basically a movement against our modern way of life and how we percieved things. They began making things that were basically "anti-art" and were there only to offend. Or as they say in the wikipedia article

"If art were to have at least an implicit or latent message, Dada strove to have no meaning — interpretation of Dada is dependent entirely on the viewer. If art is to appeal to sensibilities, Dada is to offend."

And with that, by saying that my piece represented nothing, it has represented so much more. Here is the short speech I wrote out. I still have to add in something about her nazi-like guidelines that must be strictly followed, because it wouldn't be good without it.

My piece, an ill-timed accident? Possibly a metaphor for a student’s life? That is what most would see when gazing into this sculpture, thinking that it must represent something. But this is where they have come to be wrong. This piece does not represent my life or my horrors. My determination, or my apathy, instead it represents nothing. It, however, represents nothing for a reason, not just for the sake of representing nothing, but it is a statement. Speaking out against our modern views of art and the world. When my artist, Ro Hae Sin, created her boxes she may have been trying to convey the chaos that comes from our orderly life through her geometric shapes and disarray of patterns. I have taken her style and turned it into something much more meaningful though. Through our lives we have come to learn so much, but where has this knowledge brought us? We kill and we hurt. We rob and we steal. We cheat and we lie. Why is this knowledge held so precious if it has brought us such grief? This reason and logic that we seem to know and love has brought us nothing and because of this, anarchy and irrationality is what we must accept as right. This irrationality is the only thing that can save us from ourselves. That is what this piece is about. It is about rejecting what we know and love and instead thinking anew.



Really though, I just wanted to make a box and then splatter paint on it. I had fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home